EXTENDED DEADLINE: EOI for Organizing 2020 SASP-SPSSI small group meeting in North America, due August 31st
Proposals/Letters of Interest are invited by August 31, 2019 for a small group conference meeting jointly sponsored by the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI) and the Society of Australasian Social Psychologists (SASP) to take place in North America in 2020.
Successful meetings have been held in 2018 in Philadelphia, 2017 in Melbourne, 2016 in Ottawa and in 2015 in Brisbane. The 2019 meeting was held in Newcastle Australia.
Those interested in submitting a proposal for the 2020 meeting have the option of planning the small group meeting as a pre-conference or post-conference event around the SPSSI conference (June 26-28, 2020 in Denver, CO). Organizers should feel free to select the date for the proposed conference that is the most optimal for them. Feedback/decisions to this round of proposals/letters of interest will be provided to applicants by October 15, 2019.
A total of $7,000 in support is available for each meeting as part of a collaboration between SPSSI and SASP. The purpose of the collaboration is to help strengthen links between the two organizations so that members of each may have opportunities to discuss research questions of mutual interest.
• Conference themes will be related to social issues and have international relevance (i.e., not focused on intra-national issues).
• At least 80% of persons attending the conference will be members of one or both organizations
• Representation from the two societies will be balanced: with no more than two-thirds of the participants being members of one of the organizations.
• Each conference will have two (or more) organizers; at least one will be a member of SPSSI and one a member of SASP. Preferably one organizer will be located in Australasia and the other in North America.
• Conference organizers are encouraged to facilitate publication of material on the conference topic through the Journal of Social Issues or SPSSI’s book series.
Letter of Interest (Due August 31, 2019)
The letter of interest should be no more than two pages and discuss in as much detail as possible the proposed theme of the small-group conference. Additional information regarding location, suggested keynotes/presenters, and potential college/university partners would be helpful.
Proposal Guidelines (Due once feedback is received from selection committee)
Fully developed proposals must include:
(1) A cover sheet stating: (a) Title of proposed meeting, (b) Date of proposed meeting, (c) Location of proposed meeting, (d) Names, institutional affiliations, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of organizer(s).
(2) A brief summary of why SPSSI and SASP support for a meeting on the topic is suitable and timely, and how SPSSI and SASP members will benefit (no more than three pages).
(3) A list of potential participants and a description of their distribution (e.g. in terms of geographical origin, gender, career stage, topical interests) with an indication of whether participants are associated with SPSSI and/or SASP.
(4) An outlined budget, including how much (if anything) participants would have to pay for registration, accommodation and food.
(5) Some indication of sources of funding (and other forms of support) other than SASP/SPSSI’s contribution.
(6) A draft announcement for the SASP Bulletin and SPSSI Newsletter (no more than 300 words).
Those interested in submitting a proposal are strongly encouraged to send a short email with an Expression of Interest to David Livert and Stefania Paolini so that we can answer any questions and provide assistance in developing your proposal. Full proposals are also to be submitted to Stefania and David.