Call for Proposals for 2018 SPSSI-SASP Small Group Conference in North America or Australasia
A reminder that proposals/Letters of Interest are invited by May 15, 2017 for the 2018 small group conference meeting jointly sponsored by the Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (SPSSI) and the Society of Australasian Social Psychologists (SASP). Proposals are expected for a small conference meeting to take place in North America OR in Australasia in 2018.
Successful meetings were held in 2017 in Melbourne, in 2016 in Ottawa and in 2015 in Brisbane. Short reports for the last two meetings are BELOW.
Those interested in submitting a proposal for the 2018 meeting have the option of planning the small group meeting as a pre-conference or post-conference event around the SPSSI conference in North America in June 2018 or the SASP conference in Australasia in April 2018, but this is certainly not essential. Feedback/decisions to this round of proposals/letters of interest will be provided to applicants by June 15, 2017.
A total of $7,000 in support is available for each meeting as part of a collaboration between SPSSI and SASP. The purpose of the collaboration is to help strengthen links between the two organizations so that members of each may have opportunities to discuss research questions of mutual interest. This new series is modeled after the successful SPSSI-EASP small group conference series.
Conference Proposal Guidelines:
In most cases:
- This program will support one meeting a year.
- Conference themes will be related to social issues and have international relevance (i.e., not focused on intra-national issues).
- At least 80% of persons attending the conference will be members of one or both organizations
- Representation from the two societies will be balanced: with no more than two-thirds of the participants being members of one of the organizations.
- Each conference will have two (or more) organizers; at least one will be a member of SPSSI and one a member of SASP. Preferably one organizer will be located in Australasia and the other in North America.
- Conference organizers are encouraged to facilitate publication of material on the conference topic through the Journal of Social Issues or SPSSI’s book series.
Please see the SPSSI I SASP website for additional details and updates:
Those interested in submitting a proposal are strongly encouraged to send a short email with an Expression of Interest to David Livert firstname.lastname@example.org and Stefania Paolini email@example.com so that we can answer any questions and provide assistance in developing your proposal.
David Livert & Stefania Paolini
SPSSI and SASP Small Group Conference representatives