The 12th International Conference on Language and Social Psychology (ICLASP) to be hosted by The University of Queensland, Griffith University and Queensland University of Technology
Venue: Griffith University Southbank campus, Brisbane, Australia
Date: June 16-19th, 2010
This conference brings together communication scholars who investigate language from many social contexts using both quantitative and qualitative methods. Much of the research focuses on the many perceptions, motivations, norms and contextual factors that influence interactants in the communication process. Please visit our website: http://www.ialsp.org/.
A diverse selection of distinguished keynote speakers including Professor Peter K. Austin, School of African and Oriental Studies, UK, Professor Ron Jackson, Institute of Communication Research, University of Illinois, USA, and Professor John Edwards, St Francis Xavier University, Canada.
- Innovative scholarly exchange opportunities;
- Shared meals, receptions, and the opportunity to experience sub-tropical Queensland’s beaches, hinterland, culture and life down-under;
- As always everything that you’d expect from an ICLASP conference!
Brisbane is the third largest city in Australia and is the capital of the state of Queensland in Australia’s North East. Brisbane is a gracious, subtropical city where outdoor dining is a way of life. The city is on the Brisbane River and is sheltered by Stradbroke Island, creating a wetland, mangrove environment.
ICLASP 12 will be in June, in Queensland’s southern winter which is mild and very pleasant. Most June days are sunny, with average temperatures of around 17C (63F). The conference venue is at Southbank beside the Brisbane River where there are street performers, craft markets, multicultural restaurants and river-side events happening all day long.
Although the Brisbane area has no surf beaches it is the gateway to the Gold Coast (South) and Sunshine Coast (North). For those who may wish to combine a trip to ICLASP with a wider experience of Australia, Queensland has many attractions and there are frequent interstate flights from Brisbane airport. The world heritage Great Barrier Reef is north of Brisbane, while far north Queensland is in the tropics and has spectacular rainforest.
Call for Symposia, Papers and Abstracts
To receive full consideration, submissions must be submitted before February 1st, 2010. Submissions received after that date may be accepted on a space available basis.
- Proposals should be sent in electronic form (single file: .txt, .rtf, .pdf, or .doc format) to Bernadette Watson at email@example.com. Please put “ICLASP 12 submission” in the subject line.
- All proposals received by February 1st will be reviewed and individuals will be notified of the status of their submissions by end February, 2010. Submissions received after February 1st will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
- All submissions must include complete contact information for all authors.
- All submissions must be in English.
- Submissions will be accepted in two forms: Symposia or individual papers/abstracts. Details for each are provided below.
Symposia submissions should be a single file containing:
- The name and complete contact information for the single individual responsible for the symposium.
- An 250 word maximum introduction to the thematic content of the symposium
- A list of the individual presentations, including a brief abstract of each and the names, professional affiliations, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of each presenter. A typical symposium will include at least 4 presenters.
Individual paper/abstract submissions should be a single file containing:
- The names and complete contact information for all authors and
- A clear indication of which author(s) will present the paper
- The title of the paper
- Either an extended abstract of the paper (180-250 words in length) or a regular abstract (120 words max) and a complete paper.