Newcastle has a thriving live music and clubbing scene that is bound to give you a good night out. There are quite a few pubs and clubs for all occasions, such as grabbing a quiet drink by the harbour or dancing the night away. Local favourites include:
East End of Newcastle (approximately 5-minute walk from the conference hotel)
• Customs House: 1 Bond St – Perfect place to start your night with cocktails, fantastic fountain and foreshore views, and a relaxed atmosphere.Open Mon-Sat 11am ‘til late, Sun ‘til 7pm.
• The Grain Store: 64-66 Scott St — The Grain Store boasts a tap list totalling 21, featuring 100% independently owned and 100% Australian brewed, Craft Beers. This makes it one of the largest Craft Beer tap lists in Australia.
• Bar Petite: 5/5 King St – One of Newcastle’s best-kept secrets.Offering a unique and intimate atmosphere, this is the choice for business people and after hour drinkers working in the city. Open daily 4pm ‘til late.
Darby Street (approximately 20-minute walk from the conference hotel)
• Finnegan’s Hotel: 21-23 Darby St – Another popular late night trading venue with massive dance floors, live bands downstairs, and DJs upstairs. Open Tues-Sat ‘til late.
Honeysuckle (approximately 10-15-minute walk from the conference hotel)
• The Brewery Queens Wharf Hotel: 150 Wharf Rd –Airy venue in a fantastic location overlooking the harbour. Offering rustic-chic decor and a casual vibe, along with cocktails and live music. Open daily 10.30am-10pm (‘til midnight Fri- Sat).
• Moneypenny: 17/1 Honeysuckle Dr – Nicely lit booths, comfortable outdoor benches and bespoke bar seating provide plenty of options for breathing in the atmosphere. Think high tea, boutique beer and smooth cocktails (shaken not stirred). Open Wed-Sun midday ‘til late.
City Centre (approximately 20-25-minute walk from the conference hotel)
• Foghorn Brewhouse: 218 King St – Huge,industrial-chic warehouse setting with an American-style microbrewery, complete with 1800 litre serving tanks on display. A great place to relax and have a drink. Open daily 11.30am-10pm (‘til 11.30pmFri-Sat).
• Parry Street Garage: 106 Parry St – A previous smash repairs and printing press that has been transformed into a hipster-friendly cosy, dramatic, economical space. Serving beer, wine, cocktails, desserts and cheese.Open daily midday ‘til late.
• The Lucky Hotel: 237 Hunter St – This award-winning hotel features elegant modern designs and a must-see courtyard, offering a luminous mix of old and new with a casual atmosphere. Open daily 10am-late.
The Junction and Merewether (approximately 1-hour walk or 8-minute drive from the conference hotel)
• Junction Hotel: 204 Corlette St – Classy and intimate cocktail bar with floor-to-ceiling water features and hanging gardens. Open daily 10am ‘til late.
• Merewether Surfhouse: 5 Henderson Pde – This award-winning building is perched on the beach and boasts spectacular ocean views up and down the East Coast, along with a classy cocktail bar as well as formal dining section. Open Mon-Sun 7am-late, Wed-Sat for dinner.
• The Beach Hotel: Corner of Fredrick and Ridge St – A Novocastrian landmark. Offering a relaxing atmosphere overlooking Newcastle’s famous Merewether beach. Open daily 11am-midnight.